Among the initiators are history professor Wang Dan (USA), activists Wu’er Kaixi (Taiwan) and Zhou Fengsuo (USA), who led the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing, along with documentary filmmaker Yang Weidong (Germany). Notable supporters of the campaign include Berlin-based writer Liao Yiwu, former student leader Chai Ling, gymnastics coach Gao Jian, who led the Chinese women’s team to Olympic gold in 2008, and author and poet Chen Maiping, Secretary General of the independent Chinese PEN Club.
Dear Chancellor Scholz,
We are a group of former Chinese students, artists, writers, poets and intellectuals who have been forced to live in exile around the world since the 1989 Tiananmen Massacre in Beijing, as well as dutiful Chinese who have recently been exiled from Hong Kong to other parts of the world. We were very surprised to learn that you have planned a visit to China in November.
Therefore, we would like to ask you the following questions:
1) The Covid-19 pandemic: Although there is still no knowledge about the origin of the global pandemic, will you visit China at this time?
2) Xi Jinping’s dictatorship: At the 20th Party Congress of the Chinese Communist Party, Xi Jinping abused his power and realized his goal of ruling China for the third time in a row. Although Xi is now a veritable dictator, will you visit China at this time?
3) Human Rights/Genocide: Numerous human rights crimes have been committed throughout China, including genocide in the Xinjiang Autonomous Region, Tibet, and Southern Mongolia, as well as the stupid and cruel zero-Covid policy that makes life difficult for the Chinese people over the country. Although people’s grievances are boiling, will you visit China at this time?
4) The Hong Kong issue: The Chinese Communist Party declared that the “Sino-British Joint Declaration has become a historical document”. Xi Jinping thus broke the CCP’s promise that Hong Kong citizens would govern the region for the next 50 years if the principle of “one country, two systems” remained unchanged. The Party manipulated the Hong Kong Legislative Council into passing the notorious National Security Law, creating a large number of “Hong Kong refugees”. Although this has devastating consequences for China and the world, will you visit China at this time?
5) The Taiwan issue: The Republic of China was founded in 1911 and has existed as an independent country for over 100 years. Although Xi Jinping’s plans to forcibly unify Taiwan are becoming more concrete during his third term, will you visit China at this time?
We are aware that the above issues are mostly China’s domestic problems, which have less to do with the world and Germany. You are leading an economic delegation during your visit to China. But as a politician, do you consider that China today is not only a centralized state but also gradually becoming a new Nazi-style dictatorship?
Xi Jinping’s current regime is troubled both internally and externally, with infighting and public grievances, emerging one after another. As a representative of the world’s liberal democracies who is about to visit China under Xi Jinping’s dictatorship, what views are you going to express to him?
Hereby, we call on the people of conscience in Germany and around the world to make their voices heard, “Mr. Scholz, please stop going to China”!
Wang Dan, Wuer Kaixi, Zhou Fengsuo, Yang Weidong, Liao Yiwu, Chen Maiping, Wang Longmeng, Guo Zhaohui, Huang Xizhi, Jia Guoqing, Su Xiaokang, Su Yutong, Yan Geling, Hu Ping, Yan Jiaqi, Gao Gao, Wang Juntao, Yang Jianli, Zhang Boli, Xiong Yan, Chen Pokong, Tang Kai, Chai Ling, Feng Congde, Wang Wen, Bai Meng, Xu Li, Ye Qiuli, Meng Jinghui, Shi Hang, Wang Dai, Gong Zexun, Chen Shujun, Huang Xuetao, Chen Li, Shi Meilan, Feng Jianzhong, Mo Li, Fu Zhengming, Wang Guoxing, Wei Jingsheng, Wu Hong, Zhang Guoting, Tie Niu, Li Zhen, Pan Yongzhong, Fei Liangyong, Cheng Binlin, Zhu Hongyi, Shi Kangcheng, Shi Lin, Ran Na, Li Shulan, Ma Yanling, Gao Jian, Li Furong, Fang Zhongning, Qian Ailing, Qin Jin, Ruan Jie, Feifei, Xu Xiang, Lin Ren, Jiang Hao, Yang Lian, Zhang Gang, Wang Ge, Chen Peixi, Zhou Wei, Fang Boge, Maggie Cheung, Shao Guoqiang, Xu Zhiqing, Ma Like, Wang Lingling, Chen Jiefu, Dong Changjun, Xiao Min, Chen Lan, Zhang Yu, Lin Yuxiao, Bai Yun, Sun Yifeng, Zhao Chengmin, Wang Rui, Lu Baixue, Ni Hui, Wang Mingliang, Yin Xiangnan, Fu Bangde, Zhang Jiwei, Lin Guorui, Lin Minshu, Lin Yanan, Jiang Yiyun, Liu Baihong, Ruan Jianan, Lin Zifan, Xia Zhihao, Ji Ruding, Li Zhongbing, Huang Wenlong, Xie Yanwen, Nakano , Fu Zhixiang, Hong Zhenxia, Liu Ziting, Rong Zikang, Lu Zhiying, Fang Yiqiang, Li Yungui, Zheng Yiwen, Lei Jinbao, Wu Meilong, Wu Xinzhen, Wang Meizhu, Guo Fangtian, Li Yahui, Chen Wenting, Cao Minyou, Wang Yiting, Chen Wanxuan, Wu Meiyu, Cai Yiting, Zheng Changmeng, Lin Jia Lun, Huang Likun, Aibayashi, Li Yuquan, Huang Yunhuan, Wu Yunru, Li Zhaofen, Lu Muzhong, Li Chengbai, Fang Zhaoyu, Liu Yihui, Ding Hanzhen, Wu Jiarui, Shu Lupei, Zhou Baizhi, Zhang Ziyu, Zhang Honglun, Zhou Qiongwen, Ni Yifang, Guo Guifei, Yang Peifang, Huang Wenwang, Huang Shengmei, Zheng Liqing, Xu Zhiyun, Zhang Menghan, Li Xiaoai, Wang Enlong, Zhu Zhengting, Deng Shihan, Chen Zhengqian, Wu Junbo, Ruan Xinxue, Weng Huizhu, Wu Sihan, Lin Peiling, Deng Hailai, Chen Yiyi, Li Jianzhi, Wu Shufen, Jin Yaqi, Lai Yiyi, Huang Yulin, Zhang Yihu, Wang Junmin, Zhang Shigang, Mingming Wang, Lei Jin, Zhang Xiaoling, Shi Yang, Wang Junmei, Li Sanmu, Tian Linyuan, Shi Qingnian, Li Geyan, Shi Qing, Huang Peiyu, Gao Ku, Emi Itamoto, Zhao Minkang, Fan Qianfan